Unprecedented in scope and depth, The Daily Meal produces more culinary content than any other resource. Our passionate team canvasses the world to bring you the best food and drink experiences at all levels, around the table, at home or on the road. Harvesting the delicious and discarding the mundane, we are your friend on the inside, discovering and reporting with a sense of fun and curiosity. The Daily Meal delivers a fresh take on dining news and trends and helps you succeed in the kitchen while highlighting the unifying aspects of food and drink and celebrating the people who create them.
This is a top leadership position in an organization that is not only revolutionizing the world of food and drink but leading the charge into digital journalism as well. Digital storytelling is still in its infancy and Spanfeller Media is at the forefront of exploring and defining what professionally produced content can mean in the digital world. We want to allow our consumers to access what they want, where they want it, when they want it AND how they want it.
The Managing Editor directs the full content stack for The Daily Meal. This includes, a staff of 20 full-time editors, a full video production operation that puts out 4 to 8 new video segments daily, over 60 city reporters, roughly 2,000 special contributors, 35 content partners and countless community contributors. In total more than 200 pieces of content are published on The Daily Meal each day across 10 channels and 60 plus sections.
Working closely with the Editorial Director, 8X James Beard Award Winner Colman Andrews, this position is directly involved not only in the day to day management of this group but the overall editorial strategy in general.
If you’re hungry, if you’re thirsty, if you’re passionate about food and drink, restaurants and bars, fast food and fine dining, if you’re always compelled to discover and determine what’s new and what’s best, if you have that unquenchable thirst for breaking news, for advancing the stories of the day by adding value, if you think quickly and accurately and want to help redefine not only culinary journalism but the art form as a whole, then this may be the best job you have ever had.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
• Day to day management of the full content stack for The Daily Meal
• Management and oversight of The Daily Meal video production studios
• Liaise daily with the Audience Development team in our on-going outreach to both syndication partners as well as content partners
• Interface daily with the technology and product teams on features and direction of the user experience
• Work closely with the VP of Sales and Marketing in defining and fulfilling on our unique and powerful offerings to the marketing community
• Analyze and make use of the vast amount of daily metrics around user habits on the site • Oversee the promotion of content on the Home and Channel pages
• Direct work on the ongoing development and presentation of Daily Meal Special Reports (e.g. GMO’s Friend of Foe, Water, The Truth About Meat, etc.)
• Work closely with Product leaders to make sure the best SEO practices are being implemented on a day to day basis Qualifications:
The successful candidate for this position will have:
• Experience directing digital content teams
• Have exemplary leadership skills
• Have a broad network of editorial talent
• Be self motivated
• Be intellectually curious
• Be goal oriented
• Be detail oriented and able to see the big picture at the same time
• Have a need to succeed
We offer a complete and competitive benefits package as well as Company equity!
Please send resume, cover letter AND salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org